Diet plays a major role to one’s well-being according to Ayurveda. Ayurvedic physicians are of the opinion that when the diet consumed, does not suit the body type or constitution, then no amount of medicines can help in an individual’s well-being. On the other hand, when one’s diet is nutritious and based on the body constitution to suit every individual’s unique needs, then there may be no need for a medication in the first place.
For Vata type constitution
Mixed vegetables in Almond Sauce
Ingredients: ½ cup of any vegetables (that are Vata balancing like green peas, carrots, green beans, parsnips, asparagus, beets), ½ cup of missed shredded tender greens, ½ cup of Paneer cubes (optional), cumin seeds “ 1 tsp, ¼ tsp of minced ginger, 1/8 tsp each of ground cinnamon, clove and cardamom, 1/8 tsp of turmeric, ¼ tsp of black pepper freshly ground, ¼ cup of fresh homemade yogurt, 20 nos. almonds soaked in lukewarm water and blanched, 4 cups water, 1 tsp cilantro chopped, 1 tbsp ghee and rock salt to taste.
1) Steam the vegetables for about 8-10 minutes
2) Grind yogurt, ginger and almonds to a smooth puree.
3) Heat ghee, add cumin seeds until the aroma is released.
4) Add greens and powdered spices and stir-fry for two to three minutes in medium flame, and then add water and bring to boil.
5) Fold in the sauce and steamed vegetables, sprinkle salt and cover with lid, simmer for about 8 minutes stirring occasionally.
6) Add Paneer cubes, stir and remove from heat. Garnish with cilantro and serve with plain rice.
Ingredients: ¼ cup each of Basmati Rice, grated carrot and diced beets, ½ a cup each of tender greens chopped and minced fresh ginger roots, one tbsp grated white daikon, 6 to 8 cups of water, 1/8 tsp each of black pepper, ground coriander and cumin, one tsp of minced cilantro, salt to taste.
1) Wash the rice and drain.
2) Heat water in a heavy-bottomed pot, and bring to boil.
3) Add vegetables, rice, cumin, coriander and cumin and stir to mix.
4) Reduce the flame, cover with lid, and let simmer for sixty minutes.
5) Sprinkle salt and pepper and mash the ingredients with a ladle.
6) Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.
Sweet Potato Salad
½ cup each of boiled sweet potato cut into small cubes, tender greens wilted and chopped, 1 tsp each of lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil, ¼ tsp dry-roasted and coarsely ground cumin, one tsp of ground black pepper, 1tsp of minced cilantro and salt to taste.
1) Fluff up the lemon juice, olive oil, pepper, cumin and salt in a bowl.
2) Add the other ingredients and mix well and serve.