Hypertension (High blood pressure) is the doorway to various other ailments. Persistent hypertension could be one of the main causes for heart diseases, brain haemorrhage, stroke, and kidney disease. In majority of the cases, hereditary factors, stress, and aging are the main reasons for high blood pressure.
Some common symptoms noticed in patients with high blood pressure are headaches, breathing difficulties, breathlessness, swollen feet, short temper, shivering, excess thirst, urination troubles, giddiness, and insomnia. Although all of these symptoms may not be present in all, if you notice one or two such symptoms often, and are over 40 years of age, it is better to get your blood pressure monitored.
Here are some ayurvedic treatments suggested by experts. According to Ayurveda, when treating high blood pressure, maintaining a healthy diet plays a major role. People undergoing allopathic treatments for high blood pressure, can also safely follow some of the remedies suggested by Ayurveda for hypertension, on consultation with physician.
Medication with castor oil
Mix together 10ml. Gandharvahasthadhi Kashayam with 30ml boiled and cooled water. Add 3 to 4 drops of castor oil to this. Drink this medication twice a day (morning and evening) regularly for controlling high blood pressure. When there is an improvement in blood pressure reading, take this medication only once a week.
Other herbal/ayurvedic medicines
Few other ayurvedic medicines recommended for high blood pressure are:
- Punarnavaadhi, Ashtavargam, Drakshadhi, Dashamoolaadhi, Raasnaadhi, to be taken in the form of kashayam (herbal decoction obtained after several hours of boiling at specific heat).
- Shiva, chandraprabhavadi, suvarnamukkaadhi, gorochanaadhi (prescribed in the form of tablets).
- Ashvagandharishtam, Partharishtam, Balarishtam (fermented decoctions). However, these fermented decoctions are generally not prescribed for diabetics.
Home / herbal remedies
Majority of the ingredients that are easily available in our kitchen and garden, are also excellent for treating high blood pressure. Few such remedies are:
- Take one ounce of juice of drumstick leaves, mix quarter ounce of garlic juice to this, and drink early in the morning on empty stomach regularly.
- Add a handful of drumstick leaves to one ounce of rice gruel (boiled and cooled). Chew the leaves and drink the gruel. When this is consumed regularly, it has been found to be effective in pre-hypertensive patients.
- Take 3gms of powdered Sarpagandhi root and Thazhudhama root (thrice the quantity of Sarpagandhi root), and boil them in water. Cool and drink the solution.
- Consume a teaspoon of dried, powdered fenugreek seeds on empty stomach every morning. Breakfast should be had only half an hour after this medication. This has been found to be an effective remedy, when taken on long-term basis.
- The pale green leaves of koovalam plant (about 5 to 6 leaves) can be chewed on raw, early in the morning on an empty stomach. However, this should be done regularly for effective results.
- Take equal portions of fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds and garlic pods, boil them in water and drink daily.
Other lifestyle modifications
Taking care of other lifestyle factors such as obesity, reducing intake of salt and fatty foods, avoiding pickles, egg yolk, oily food, ghee, butter, sweets, and quitting smoking and alcohol, can go a long way in maintaining a healthy blood pressure reading.
Ensure to include more leafy green vegetables and plenty of fruits in your diet, and drink at least 8 to 10 glasses of water a day. High blood pressure patients should try to lead a stress-free life, and, turning to yoga and meditation could be the best way to do this. Also, a brisk walk for at least half an hour is a must.