In the ancient days, our great grandmothers would never panic for minor day-to-day injuries, cuts, or burns, as they had a storehouse of knowledge about quick Ayurvedic home remedies in case of any unforeseen emergencies. However these days, we rush to the nearest hospital or doctor for even for minor health problems or injuries/wounds, as we have no idea of a ‘home first-aid’.
Listed here are few easy quick home remedies suggested by Ayurvedic experts in case of minor or very common health problems:
- When a dust particle or a foreign particle enters the eye, do not rub the eye. Carefully use the tip of a clean white cotton towel to remove the foreign particle, if it is visible.
- Boil licorice in water and allow it to cool. Use this solution as eye drop for immediate relief.
- Apply a drop of honey on the lower eyelid, which cleanses the eye by producing tears naturally.
- For ear pain or for itching sensation in the ears, add 2 garlic cloves to 2 tsp of mustard oil. Mix and heat till garlic turns black in colour. Allow the oil to cool. Add 2 to 3 drops of oil to the affected ear. The analgesic properties help to relieve the pain.
- Crush few basil leaves, press them on a sieve and extract juice. Strain the juice using a fine strainer, and pour two drops of this into the infected ear.
- In case any foreign object or ant/insect enters the ear drum, add two drops of lukewarm coconut oil, which has been boiled using crushed garlic. After this, tilt the head to one side, in such a way that the insect/ant flows out of the ear, along with the oil.
- For instant relief from toothache, add some clove oil to cotton wool and place it on the affected tooth and bite it for some time.
- Another option is to make a powder of nutmeg and rock salt and brush teeth with it.
- Grind raw turmeric and camphor and apply it on the affected tooth.
- For itchy and red skin, grind mustard seeds with a little water and apply it on the affected skin to reduce itchiness.
- Take two teaspoon of cinnamon powder and honey, mix well, and apply on the affected area. Leave on for 10 to 15 minutes. Wash off with water. Repeat thrice a day.
- Take 6 tablespoons of coconut oil, 4 tablespoon of lemon juice, and mix well. Heat the mixture till it turns lukewarm. Apply on the affected area and leave it overnight.
- For instant relief from acidity, drinking milk to which crushed shallots are added, may of immediate help.
- ‘Dhanwantharam’ tablets can be had mixing with a little honey, for immediate relief from acidity.
- Murivenna (an effective ayurvedic oil) and Pindathailam (a premium ayurveda massage oil available in ayurvedic pharmacies) are two essential ingredients to be kept at home all the time. These oils come in handy for pain, inflammation and sprain. Just massaging these oils into the affected area can relieve pain and associated symptoms.