Aromatherapy is a form of alternative medicine that uses plant extracts in their volatile form (essential oils) and other aromatic compounds to enhance mood, health and cognitive function.
Although, Aromatherapy is commonly used in spas, people have now recognized its value and are using it in their everyday lives too, to take care of health and skin.
While maintaining a healthy lifestyle is most essential for good skin, aromatherapy can contribute equally in skin care, and helps in gaining soft and supple skin. This happens as the natural oils get absorbed by the skin and eventually enters the bloodstream, thereby rendering a long lasting effect.
Using Aromatherapy for daily skin care:
The aromatherapy oils can be added to your daily moisturizing lotion, cleansing cream, or even milk. The oils can be used individually or by combining two or three oils. The ideal ratio could be two drops of oil added to 100ml of cleanser.
Dry skin: People with dry skin can use Ylang ylang, rosewood, geranium, Cedarwood, sandalwood or chamomile.
Combination skin: For combination skin use Geranium, Neroli, or lavender.
Oily Skin: Lemon, cypress, juniper, grapefruit, clary, or peppermint are good essential oils for oily skin.
Normal Skin: Sandalwood, rose, lavender, or neroli.
Chapped/cracked skin: Chamomile or benzoin, patchouli or vetiver.
Sensitive skin: Palma Rosa, jasmine, Roman & German chamomile or Yarrow Hydrosols.
Acne-prone skin: Tea Green, Rosemary. Both these herbs can be used to cure acne, dull dry skin, and skin irritation.
Benefits of Aromatherapy for skin:
The benefits that the skin derives through aromatherapy are many, few of which are:
- It helps in reducing the fine lines related to ageing.
- Cures several types of skin diseases when used in consultation with a physician.
- Cures bug bites and bee stings, and other skin injury.
- All essential oils used in aromatherapy for skin care have the ability to reduce stress, destroy bacteria, stimulate sluggish circulation and boost the immune system.
- Most essential oils have the qualities that benefit anti-aging skin care.
- Aromatherapy skin care treatments with essential oils can help open the skin pores, hydrate the skin and emit gentle, natural fragrances.
- True aromatherapy skin care treatments usually blend essential oils to treat skin conditions and rejuvenate the skin. While the lighter essences can penetrate deeper into the skin and act on a cellular level, the heavy-based essences are used for body skin care such as massages and beauty fitness treatments.