Right from ancient days, hair is considered as one of the biggest beauty asset of a woman. Any woman would love to possess thick healthy hair. But due to their hectic lifestyles these days both men and women suffer from hair loss, dandruff problems and premature graying of hair. As one gets older, the hair loses its natural colour and turns grey. But premature graying is a morose condition wherein even the young appear old due to the color of their hair. This is of much concern to men and women alike. A few herbal and home remedies for hair loss, premature graying and dandruff are mentioned herein:
- Though one has to accept the fact that there is no definite way to prevent hair loss, a little care could prevent further damage and loss of hair. Massaging the scalp for a few minutes every day will increase blood flow to the hair follicles and will prevent hair loss temporarily. In Ayurveda, Aromatherapy is recommended for reducing hair loss. Six drops each of bay and lavender essential oils can be added to four ounces of sesame oil or soybean or almond oil and massaged into the hair roots. It is recommended that one should wait for atleast 20 minutes before washing the hair.
- Herbs like Sage and Rosemary have been proved to be effective in treating hair loss. Rosemary, peach leaf, sage, nettle and burdock should be boiled and strained and the liquid can be used for hair wash on a daily basis. For patients suffering from eczema, psoriasis, seborrhea and dandruff jajaoba oil is recommended. Jajoba oil being hypoallergenic, promotes hair growth and regulates dandruff problems.
- Aloe Vera helps in healing the scalp, balances the PH level of the scalp and cleans the pores. A mixture of Aloe Vera gel with wheat germ oil and coconut milk promotes hair growth and reduces dandruff.
- Amla or the Indian gooseberry is an excellent tonic for premature graying of hair and preventing hair loss. Cut a few Amla fruits into pieces, dry it in shade and boil in coconut oil until the solid matter is well cooked and appears dark in color. This oil when massaged into the scalp every day, is the best medicine for premature graying of hair. Even the water in which a few dried pieces of Amla are soaked over night can be used for rinsing hair. This is very nourishing and helps prevent premature graying. Also massaging Amla juice, mixed with almond oil and few drops of lime juice every night is found to be beneficial in treating premature graying of hair.
- Adding curry leaves to ones regular diet has proven to be beneficial in treating premature graying of hair, as the curry leaves add strength and vitality to hair. Curry leaves can also be boiled in coconut oil and applied regularly for healthy hair.
- Finally, Henna, the traditional herb found in India is a good hair conditioner and is the best way to healthier hair. Apart from conditioning the hair, it protects against breakage of hair and gives back that natural shine to the hair.