Anaemia is a common condition, mostly prevalent in women than in men. Anaemia is the deficiency of red blood cells or haemoglobin that may be caused due to various reasons including injury, illness, injections, toxins or drugs, excessive menstruation in women, or due to inadequate intake of iron. Anaemia is called Pandurog in Ayurveda. Here are some easy to follow tips from the books of Ayurveda, to increase your haemoglobin count.
- Beetroot, rich in iron, helps in increasing the quantity of blood in the system. Beetroot can be included in your daily salad, or mixing beetroot and lime juices and drinking them early in the morning can provide effective results.
- Soak 10-12 currants in water overnight, remove their seeds and eat them. This can be done for 2-4 weeks time.
- Include more of foods rich in iron content such as honey, bananas, almonds, apricots, dates, raisins, carrots, tomatoes, gooseberry, apples and pomegranate.
- Carrot is a rich source of iron and when taken in combination with beetroot, in their raw form, sprinkled with lemon juice, you are sure on your way to pink state of health. The Vitamin A and Vitamin C would not only keep the body strong, but your blood will remain red without any impurity. This is a good anaemia cure with diet.
- Have a ripe banana with a tablespoon of honey twice a day.
- Freshly prepared apple juice can be consumed an hour before or after meals, as it is important to have the juice when you are relatively on an empty stomach for better absorption.
- Avoid having tea and coffee immediately after meals, as the tannin in these, interferes with absorption of iron from food.
Take 2 teaspoons of Indian gooseberry (amla) juice and mix it with two teaspoonfuls each of honey and lime. Add a tea cup of water and drink on an empty stomach each morning. This should be done for atleast 3 to 4 months to achieve desired results.
Along with this, mix a tablespoon juice of amla with a ripe mashed banana and eat twice or thrice a day. Soak two or three dried figs in a tea cup water, and eat them along with milk next morning for a month.
Soak cumin seeds in lime juice overnight. Keep this mixture under the sun until completely dry. Bottle it. Chew half a teaspoon of this mixture and drink it with a glass of warm water.
In majority of the cases, mild anaemia gets cured with just the home remedies and diet modifications suggested above. However, in severe cases, medications may be required along with diet modifications. In such cases, medicines can be taken on consultation with a physician.
Lohasavam has been the prime choice among Ayurvedic medicines in treatment of anaemia. All associated health related problems arising due to decreased haemoglobin levels will be taken care of with this medicine. In general, it improves health and corrects systemic disorders too.
Purgative therapy is also one of the best ayurvedic therapies for treatment of anaemia. If there is persistent constipation problem, even that needs to be corrected before treatment of anemia can begin. ‘Punarnava mandura’ may be prescribed. This not only increases the amount of blood, but is also a good laxative. ‘Triphala’ is also commonly recommended.
Apart from Punarnava Mandoor, Bhasma Makshik is also helpful for anaemia caused due to iron deficiency.
Apart from these, yoga and meditation can help in improving rhythmic breathing, which can give adequate oxygenation levels to cells.
On the whole, it should be noted that anemia, if in its early stages, can be controlled with diet and herbal medications, but, should not be overlooked, as in Ayurveda and naturopathy, a diet of fruit and food, will be effective in treating anaemia and its chronic and acute symptoms.