A healthy mind in a healthy body is essential to lead an active life. The brain is the organ that communicates to the rest of the body to perform all major activities. Brain is also in control of healing power, as the vagus nerve, which runs from brain to abdomen, helps the brain in communicating with the rest of the body.
Hence, evidences suggest that practicing more and more mind-body techniques, helps in better brain to body communications. Following the below measures may help in keeping one’s brain young and alert always.
Anything that labours, needs rest to function properly, with the brain being no exception. However, brain hardly receives any rest, because when asleep, the brain continues to process data and repair the body’s damages, while all other body parts are rested.
Although, complete rest for brain is impossible, a technique called ‘trataka’ ensures that brain gets rest atleast during the practice of the technique. The technique, which should be done in a calm and quite room, is practiced as described below:
- Sit cross-legged keeping the spine erect.
- Place a lighted candle at eye level at an arms distance.
- Close your eyes and sit still. Concentrate on your breath for a minute.
- Open your eyes and look at the brightest spot in the candle flame, and continue to gaze without blinking for 2-3 minutes (You can close the eyes, if it waters before 2 minutes).
- Then close the eyes gently and you will be able to see clear image of the flame.
- Concentrate on the image until it fades out.
- The process should be repeated thrice.
- In the end, rub your palms until they are warm and gently place them on closed eyes. On repeating this, this will remove tiredness from the delicate optic nerves.
Caution: It is not advisable to repeatedly use a bright object like candle flame for performing trataka for more than a month. Instead, one could use a black spot or image of your favorite diety.
Few more brain boosting tips¦
- Walk for a minimum of 30 minutes a day, as it helps in keeping the brain young.
- Each week, consume six curry dishes or six teaspoons of dark mustard or a combination of both, as the curcumin component found in turmeric, helps lower Alzheimer’s risk.
- Consume 10 tablespoons of tomato sauce, with olive oil, and no sugar being added, every week.
- Drinking coffee, without adding sugar or cream, may help in lowering risk of Alzheimers.
- Consume fish oil daily, or eat fish with low toxins three to four times a week.
- Laugh whole-heartedly to improve memory.