Here are a few natural therapies from Ayurveda to treat sunstroke this summer.
- Body Massage – Ayurveda suggests a good body massage with medicated oils such as madhuvashtvadi and pinda thailam, and a cool shower thereafter.
- Adding herbs such as vetiver, sappas wood, sandalwood and sarasapilla to drinking water is beneficial in cooling the body.
- Aromatherapy recommends usage of essential oils that stimulate self-healing and calms the mind. Lavender essential oil is used for pain relief and irritation due to sunstrokes. It is a sedative and calming agent.
- Local application of aloe-vera helps in softening of the skin. One tablespoon of aloe-vera can be added to three drops of lavender essential oil and applied locally for sun burns.
- Cold mud pack could be applied to the stomach and eyes twice a day.
- Drink plenty of water, fruit juices and fluids such as cucumber juice, water melon, buttermilk, coconut water.
- Stick to a light diet this summer, including more of liquid diets. A green leaf soup should be a regular part of the diet. Sweet corn soup is also recommended.