Gout is a severe and more painful kind of arthritis caused due to sudden and severe attacks of pain, tenderness, swelling and redness in the joints, especially ankle and toe. The uric acid present in the blood begins to crystallize and settle in the spaces of joints causing inflammation, swelling pain and stiffness. But fortunately Gout can be cured with medications and diet restrictions.
Few home care tips for tackling Gout are given herein:
- During attacks of Gouts, apply ice packs to the affected area at regular intervals, holding on for about three to five minutes.
- Drinking herbal teas such has peppermint and rosehip could help.
- As fluids help in flushing uric acid from the system, drink about five to six glasses of water per day.
- Avoiding intake of foods such as shellfish, meat, eggs, caffeine, and fatty fish which stimulates the production of uric acid helps in tackling gout.
- Intake of atleast one gram of Vitamin C or other fruits/vegetables containing vitamin C will help in dissolving uric acid in the body. Intake of cherry and cherry juice also is found to relieve symptoms of Gout.
- Avoiding alcohol increases uric acid production.
- Certain medications prescribed in Ayurveda such as Shirodhar, sarvanghadhara, Pichu, Vasthi, etc could bring relief, in addition to Rasmadi kashayam and Kokilaksham kashayam. Also Colchicum, Arnica are recommended by physicians for acute cases of Gout and Kalibich and Ledum for chronic cases.
- During an attack of Gout, take sufficient rest, as it reduces the formation of uric acid crystals and improves excretion of uric acid through urine.