Herbal Supplements are commercial products available in the form of a capsule or tablet and are marketed and manufactured by the health industry for selling in wholesale outlets to cater to general public. There are also certain kinds of herbal supplements that are sold only to doctors and physicians for prescription. Herbal Supplements are believed to contain certain specific levels of active phytochemicals in them.
Herbal Supplements are also a type of dietary supplement that contain herbs (either single or in combinations). An Ayurvedic herb is a plant which is used as a whole or in parts for its flavor, scent and therapeutic properties. Herbs are backed by a long history of health benefits and are believed to contain therapeutic properties. However, before barging in for herbal supplements it is important to have a basic knowledge about certain facts to be considered for safety before using herbal supplements for health benefits.
- Just because an herbal supplement is labeled as natural it may not necessarily be considered as safe for prolonged use. For instance, the herbs comfrey and kava are believed to be linked with liver damage.
- Herbal supplements should be taken correctly in the right dosage. When used in large quantities and wrong dosages, it could lead to medical problems just like other drugs.
- Pregnant women and children should be cautious, in particular, when using herbal supplements. Herbal supplements can sometimes react in a way similar to other drugs and hence should be taken strictly under guidance from an expert physician or professional who is trained in herbal medicine.
- It is very important to consult one’s regular health care provider before opting for herbal supplement, in case one is already on other medications (prescription or over the counter). Certain herbal supplements are believed to react with other allopathic medications and might lead to health problems.
- These days there is an increase of websites promoting and selling herbal supplements through the net. It is important to evaluate the validity and claims made for the supplements with other sources and with an expert physician before going ahead for purchase.