Frequent exposure to the sun increases production of melanin (the skin’s pigment that gives color to the skin). Melanin helps protect the skin from sun’s radiation. As melanin is dark in color, the skin becomes dark in color, or tanned on sun-exposure. Apart from tanning, the skin is also exposed to harmful ultraviolet radiation that leaves a long-term damage on the skin.
Hence, it is important to avoid direct sun-exposure as much as possible, particularly during noon till about 3pm. Hence, the skin needs to be protected from effects of sun-exposure through daily care routine that helps in tackling these effects. Also, remember to apply sunscreen while swimming, of while holidaying by the sea, as water, being a reflective surface, increases the effects of UV radiation.
Here are a few simple easy-to-follow home remedies for sunburn:
A scrub is often the first thing to set your hands upon after sun exposure, as it effectively removes immediate tan. But scrubs should be avoided in cases of redness or rash. After using the scrub, milk can help soothe the skin.
- 3 tablespoons of ground meals can be mixed with half a cup of yogurt. Apply on face and neck. Rub it gently all over face and neck and wash off.
- Mix two teaspoons of oatmeal with half a cup of ripe papaya and add a drop of honey. Apply the mask and wash off after twenty minutes.
- Honey and lime juice can be mixed in the ration of 2:1 and wash it off after twenty minutes.
- A pinch of turmeric can be added to yogurt and applied over face, neck and arms regularly for half-an-hour.
- Lime juice and cucumber could be mixed in equal proportions and applied regularly for 20 minutes. Cucumber pulp together with yogurt can also be applied over face regularly and washed off.
For lightening skin tone:
- Mix a teaspoon each of milk powder, honey and lemon juice with half-a-teaspoon of almond oil. Apply regularly on face and wash off after 10 to 15 minutes. This apart from removing tan brings shine back on skin.
- Oatmeal, curd and tomato juice to be mixed and applied on face. Leave on for 20 minutes before washing off with cold water. This helps remove tan while also lightening the skin.
- A mixture of grated tomato together with 2-3 drops of lime juice, could be left on the face for 20 minutes prior to washing off. This could be done for 15-20 minutes twice a day for two weeks for best results.
- A tbsp of gram flour should be mixed with 2 tsp of raw milk and 2-3 drops of lime juice. Apply this mixture and leave on for 15 minutes and wash off. Repeat for a month, and follow-up with once a week.
- Apply a paste of freshly ground mint leaves and leave on for about 20 minutes. Wash with cold water. Continue the routine for 15 days.
- Soak 4 almonds overnight. Grind it into a fine paste with milk. Apply on neck and face, leave it overnight. Wash with cold water in the morning. Continue this routine for two weeks, and twice a week thereafter.