Diseases affecting the throat can be of various types, ranging from common cold symptoms and allergies, to tonsillitis and other serious conditions such as throat cancer. Let us take a look at common problems affecting the throat and some relief techniques suggested by Ayurveda.
Recurring throat pain is often associated with inflammation of any kind. This could be due to various reasons such as infections, acidity, weather changes, pollution, wound or injury or tumours etc. However, among these, allergies and infections are the common causes of throat pain. Throat infections are mostly viral, rather than bacterial. Antibiotics are required only for bacterial infections, and hence antibiotics are rarely required for throat pain or inflammation.
Throat pain accompanied by fever, body pain, running nose, mouth ulcers, and tiredness lasting for two days are symptoms of viral throat infection. In such cases, good rest is a must along with fever medication and home remedies to soothe throat pain.
However, continued itching or pain in the throat and running nose and sneezing and cough may be due to allergies. Finding the root cause of allergy and preventing it could be the best option, while also having medication for allergy.
Here are some common measures that can be followed at home for relief from throat pain:
- Add a teaspoon of salt to a glass of lukewarm water and gargle several times a day for relief from pain and to reduce inflammation.
- Drink lukewarm water, black or green tea, or soup, as they are soothing for the throat.
- Add honey, lemon, ginger, and pepper to lukewarm water, and drink at least once a day for effective relief from throat pain.
- Steam inhalation is also beneficial, as it helps in reducing mucus accumulation.
- Try to give complete rest to your throat by talking as minimally as possible.
- Avoid tobacco, alcohol or other cold beverages.
- Mix equal quantities of dry ginger, black pepper and Thippili (Desavaram or Indian long pepper), blend this mixture and consume with honey.
- Soak chopped ginger in lukewarm water for about an hour, and drink the water for immediate relief.
- Crush three garlic pods and add to your tea, or just chew them raw.
- Add a teaspoon of cinnamon and honey, and a pinch of black pepper powder to a glass of lukewarm water and drink twice a day.
- Add a teaspoon of honey to two teaspoons of sesame oil and consume thrice a day.
- For throat irritation and pain, and loss of voice during common cold, grind Acorus calamus (vayambu or vacha) and apply it on the throat locally.
- Add a teaspoon of tea leaves to a glass of water and boil well. Allow it to cool, and gargle this solution by adding a teaspoon of salt to it.
- Squeeze the juice of half a lemon to a glass of lukewarm water, boiled by adding tea leaves. Gargle with this solution, while ensuring that you hold the water in your throat for a minute. Do this at least four times a day for effective relief.
- Mix together equal quantities of licorice and nutmeg with honey and consume daily.
All the above remedies are only for relief from pain and irritation. If throat pain continues with other new symptoms visit your physician to check out for the underlying cause.