Supta-Vajrasana is an extension of Vajrasana, wherein one is required to lie on the back with folded legs. Hence it is named as Supta-Vajrasana or Thunderbolt posture.
- Sit in Vajrasana.
- Place the right hand on the floor behind the buttock and similarly with the left hand.
- Gently place the right elbow on the floor towards backside and similarly the left elbow.
- Gently straighten the hands and lie completely on the back taking care not to cause any jerks.
- Shoulders should be placed on the ground. However, the knees should remain together. The spine should remain erect. However care should be taken not to exert any extra pressure on the arms, hands or the spine.
- Stretch arms and hands on either sides of the body.
- Continue to stay in this posture for about 6 seconds and do deep breathing.
- Return to the normal position by fist removing hands and bring them to normal position. Rest for a few seconds before practicing again.
The Asana is particularly helpful in stimulating the Pancreas and is a good posture to be adopted by diabetics. This posture also has a positive influence on the Intestine, Kidneys, Spleen, Liver and organs in the abdominal region. It is useful in treating Sciatica and high blood pressure. It also strengthens the thigh muscles.