Tonsillitis are two small round masses of lymph tissues behind the tongue, situated on either side of pharynx. Tonsils are actually more like guardians to throat, as they prevent entry of any harmful or infected element into the throat.
But, when they are infected with some sort of infection, they are not in a position to safeguard our body, particularly of the throat and respiratory system. Tonsillitis can affect people of any age group, although it commonly affects children.
Inflammation of tonsils should not be ignored, and should be fully treated as soon as detected, as when the case gets chronic, the toxins released by them get intermingled with blood stream, which ultimately toxifies various regions of heart. Chronic tonsillitis even can lead to retarded growth in a growing child, and can affect digestion or lead to heart problems. Hence, treating tonsillitis is a must.
Tonsillitis can be caused due to variety of reasons such as:
- Repeated throat infections
- Excessive use of spices, condiments, pungent and astringent food items.
- Constant dry, hawking, dog-like cough
- Forcible and constant use of high pitch voice
- Naso-pharingeal disease when nasal disease drops into the throat instead of discharging through nose.
- Blockage of nose and chronic congestion due to viscid mucus.
- Smoking and use of tobacco products.
- Excess intake of toffees, sweets, ice cream, chewing gum etc.
- Repeated exposure to cold/heat and taking iced water and such iced drinks.
- Viral or bacterial infection, streptococcal infection, which may lead to Nephritis.
Some common symptoms of tonsillitis include
- Pain on swallowing, chillness and fever.
- Tonsils are enlarged and inflamed like small balls.
- Whitish or grey matter covers the tonsils.
- Extra ordinary tenderness, redness and narrowed passage of throat causing problem in swallowing liquids.
- Pain and swelling in glands under the ears/jaws.
- Change or total loss of voice
Ayurveda treats tonsillitis by fighting the condition from its roots and by strengthening the body against future attacks. Although, ayurveda does not adopt a standard treatment for illness, the individual constitution of the person is carefully studied, and treatments are formulated specifically for that person. Ayurvedic experts consider recurring infection and inflammation of tonsils to be a major factor for illness in later life, and hence, the entire immune system is treated. Some remedial treatment and supportive measures suggested by experts of Ayurveda are:
- Boil Banaphsha (viola adorate) flowers in 50ml water and when content gets reduced to 1/3rd, mix it with 200ml milk and drink hot.
- Gargle with saline / purified alum or even dry alum powder may be applied over swollen tonsils.
- Use linctus made of Vacha, Vasti, Honey and Kulanjan and use it three or four times a day.
- Agastya Rasayan can be taken twice a day with honey for a period of six months. It will offer permanent relief and immunity from the ailment.
- Sip 5-6 tablets of Khadiradi Vati as and when required, as it can soothe the irritation in the glands. It is made of roots, flowers and bark of certain medicinal plants. The tablet should be placed in the mouth and chewed slowly.
- Alternatively, Sitopalaady choorna is also prescribed, it is a mixture of cinnamon, cardamom, long pepper, bamboo shoots and powdered sugar, dried and ground into a fine powder in a specific proportion. This is an effective bronchodilator which allows phlegm to be coughed up.
- As a home remedy, try to gargle with water in which fenugreek seeds have been boiled, when symptoms first appear. Thereafter, apply hot fomentation over throat and adjoining areas thrice a day to relieve decongestion.
Tonsillitis, being a recurring phenomenon, children should be guided to abstain from using the known irritants and causatives. It is essential to maintain a good fitness regime and practice yoga and breathing exercises.