Constipation could make one feel miserable. Though laxatives provide temporary relief, their frequent use could ultimately make them ineffective. Natural therapies help in tackling the problem in a much better manner. With minor diet modifications, and natural therapies done under expert guidance, the problem can be dealt with in a natural manner.
- Place a cold wet towel or a cold mud pack, around the navel area for approximately twenty minutes regularly.
- Regular hip baths (below the ribs to the thighs) in cold water, while gently massaging the area around the navel in an anti-clockwise direction could provide relief.
- Hip bath using a decoction of drumstick leaves, tamarind leaves and castor oil, for about fifteen minutes once or twice a day.
- Regular intake of high-fibre foods such as green vegetables (like celery, fenugreek), wholegrain cereals, beans (particularly soya), and fruits are recommended.
- Drink a minimum of twelve glasses of water a day.
- Limit the intake of processed and refined foods such as de-husked pulses, potatoes, suji etc.
- Reduce solid intake, and include plenty of liquids such as fresh fruit and vegetable juices, coconut water, buttermilk, soups in regular diet.
- Ayurveda recommends two tablespoons of castor oil mixed in two glass of warm water at bedtime for a few days.
- Soak about three to four figs in a glass of water overnight. The resulting solution could be consumed in the morning, while also chewing the soaked figs for easy bowel movement.