Water is the best anti-ageing weapon

According to a new study, scientists claim that water is the best anti-ageing weapon that can keep wrinkles at bay.

About 1500 genes present in our body determine the duration until which people can maintain their youthful looks. Although there are several ways in which skin ages, each of which are controlled by different sets of genes, the most important aspect among them is the manner in which skin gathers and retains water.

Normally 700 genes in our body help in hydration of the skin, and with age, they become less active and less able to retain water. As the cells get older, they lead to wrinkles.

Scientists at Procter & Gamble carried out the study to find out why few people age faster than the others. Jay Tiesmann, the lead scientist in the global biotechnology division, Procter & Gamble, said that other factors that affect skin ageing are the levels of collagen, the molecule responsible for giving skin its structure and strength. The genes that degrade this process make it get overactive in old age, which causes wrinkles. About 40 genes have been found to accelerate this breakdown.

Wrinkles can also be caused due to inflammation. About 400 genes are responsible for inflammation, and they become more active with age.

Tiesman’s study also revealed the role played by environmental factors, such as exposure to sunrays leading to wrinkles. It was found that in aged skin that was not much exposed to the sun, there were only about 3800 genetic mutations, while in sun-aged skin, the number of changes increased to 10,000 in number.

Skin Therapist, Louise Thomas-Minns says that only 30 percent of ageing process is determined by the genes. The rest 70 percent depends on how we take care of our skin.

Also, when the body is completely hydrated, it can eliminate toxins and purify itself more easily. Toxin-free skin is no-doubt, healthier skin, but, particularly, it can heal wrinkles more effectively.

Here are few more tips to reduce wrinkles:

Avoid sun exposure “ A dozen studies have confirmed sun exposure as the main cause of wrinkles. In fact, a New York-based Plastic Surgeon has confirmed sun exposure as the main cause of wrinkles, and that its a more dominating factor than heredity. If you must go out in the sun, use of a sunscreen is a must. Apart from preventing wrinkles, it also protects from skin cancer.

Quit smoking “ More studies have confirmed that cigarette smoke ages skin, particularly by releasing an enzyme that breaks down elastin and collagen, the vital components of the skin. Studies have shown that the skin of smokers were more wrinkled and were 40 times thinner than non-smokers.

Sleep quality “ Accodring to leading dermatologist Nicholas Perricone, when the body does not get adequate sleep, the body produces excess cortisol, the hormone which breaks down skin cells. Hence, getting enough rest helps skin remain thick, with more elasticity, and therefore less wrinkles.

Sleep position “ When sleeping, try sleeping on the back, as it reduces wrinkle formation. According to the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD), sleeping on sides causes wrinkles on chin and cheek, while sleeping with face-down, gives a furrowed brow.

Enjoy more soy products “ A study published in European Journal of Nutrition says that soy-based supplements, improves skin firmness and structure within six months of use. This is because certain properties of soy help protect or heal suns photo-aging damage.

Eat fruits and veggies “ The anti-oxidant compounds present in veggies and fruits help fight damage caused by free radicals, keeping skin look younger and radiant by protecting against few effects of photo-aging.

Alpha-Hydroxy Acids (AHAs) “ These natural fruit acids remove top layer of dead skin cells, and reduce appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Latest evidence indicates that AHAs, in higher concentrations, even stimulate collagen production.

Finally, ensure not to over-wash your face, as washing face too often, removes skin off its natural barrier oils and moisture that can protect against wrinkles.

So, follow these simple tips and realize how simple gaining a youthful wrinkle-free skin can be.

1 Comment

Add a Comment